Palestine – April 11th to 16th 2015
As you know, OxPal will be arriving in Palestine in less than a week. Our main objective is to meet as many of you as possible and so we’d love it if students could spread the word about our visit! We’ll be meeting the clinical students involved with the programme in order to:
1) Gather feedback about the tutorials and learn more about what we can do to make them as useful as possible for the students.
2) Talk to you about how to get involved with and interpret medical research, which is very useful for clinicians to engage with.
3) Begin a peer-tutoring program, in which older students are trained to help teach and mentor more junior students in clinical skills, which has been shown to be an effective way of learning for both participants.
4) Conduct some bedside teaching to practicing those ophthalmology and neurology skills, and apply the theoretical knowledge to real patients.
5) Have a workshop and training day on mental health, since it training is increasingly becoming a vital skill in any doctor’s toolkit.
6) Run a workshop in partnership with Doctors Advancing Patient Safety, an NGO involved in quality improvement, audit and patient safety.
Therefore we’d love to see both clinical students, and those about to enter their first clinical year.
We also have plans to spread the word about OxPal and build links with policy makers and academics. We will therefore be meeting with representatives from the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East, the Ministry of Health and professors from the universities involved in the program. But most importantly, we want to have fun with all of you! So please look out for us, come to the relevant sessions and help us strengthen not just academic partnerships, but social ones too.
Please check out our current timetable, come along to as many sessions as you can, and tell all your friends!
|Sunday 12th||1000||Introduction to Research||Library Hall, Makassed Hospital|
|1200||Meeting and Feedback with Students||Makassed|
|Monday 13th||0830 to 1530||Mental Health Workshop||Caesar Hotel, Ramallah|
|TBC||DAPS Workshop||An-Najah Medical School, Nablus|
|Tuesday 14th||TBC||DAPS Workshop||Library Hall, Makassed Hospital|
|TBC||Psychiatry Training Day||Bethlehem Mental Hospital|
|1100 to 1300||Postgraduate Ophthalmology||Palestine Media Complex, Ramallah|
|1430||Peer Tutoring Workshop||Makassed|
|Wednesday 15th||TBC||Undergraduate Neurology/Ophthamlology||TBC|
|Thursday 16th||TBC||Free Time with Students||Bethlehem|